Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Getting to New Zealand

A nearly 14 hour flight from BA to Auckland started with a missing passenger which required a 30 minute delay to remove his luggage.  The flight was tremendously exciting...I could count the stitches in the seat in front of me because, A. the person in front completely reclined placing it about 5 inches from my face, and B. there was no in seat on demand entertainment system like most other international flights converted to 5 years ago.  Breakfast was a generous portion if they were feeding a kitten.  Dinner revealed the language barrier once again when both Scott and I ordered the pasta.  Scott's consisted of rigatoni with tomato sauce.  My pasta consisted of stewed beef in a mushroom sauce with mashed potatoes.  We landed in Auckland and immigration and customs was a breeze.  We got the rental car and decided on a strategy in which Scott would navigate and I would focus on not getting us into a head on collision with all these other drivers on the wrong side of the road.  Four hours later and we found ourselves at the base of Mount Ruapehu, a large volcano in the center of the North Island.  

 Scott at hour 10 on the flight
 We fly past our target:  Mt. Ruapehu, the snow-capped volcano at the center of the image.
 Apparently there is pretty scenery on the sides of the road.  I can't tell because I am trying to stay on the left side of the road.
Watch out for Kiwi birds on skis heading to Mount Ruapehu!

No comments:

Post a Comment